'TASHTEGO' WAS DESIGNED BY Trygue Halvorsen of LARS HALVORSEN SONS PTY LTD and built by Trevor Gowland well known builder of classic timber vessels in Sydney.
LAUNCHED IN NOVEMBER 1962.'Tashtego' is a magnificent example of a restored timber yacht of the sixties. Her current fastidious (third) owner now wants to move on and reluctantly wishes to sell the vessel. For many years “Tashtego” sailed with the CYC Sydney and has competed in a number of Sydney Hobart Yacht races.
The current owner purchased the boat in a parlous state of disrepair. Nothing had been done to the boat for many years as the previous owner was wheel chair bound. Whilst he loved her, he did not carry out works other than necessary maintenance. That is probably a good thing as nothing has been altered. It has been a labour of love by the current owner, bringing her to today's condition.
• Every piece of chromed metal has been replated
• Every piece of timber has been carefully rubbed down and revarnished
• A new Princess Seat made for the stern
• New cushions made with new foam and new fabric (it has been described as having a Ralph Lauren look)
• Cut out various pieces of rot on the deck and re-glassed those areas
• Fully repainted the entire deck
• All hatch latches have been serviced to ensure that they are watertight
• The engine was replaced at some stage and is only showing 1,800 hours on the instrument panel
• A number of the zips on the full boat cover have been replaced (this fully protects her from the sun)
• New valves have been put on the gas oven
• The regulator and hose have been replaced
• The fridge has been checked
• The IPgas system has been tested
• New light fittings have been installed throughout the boat
And of course the boat has been fully painted and varnished. "Tashtego" has just undergone an extensive refurbishment of her hull with new blue anti-foul and gleaming two pack white topsides during April 2013. Tashtego looks wonderful.
The boat is currently in Sydney and is the ideal vessel for the prospect looking to own a classic timber yacht with true heritage. An inspection will not disappoint.
|New South Wales
|Lars Halvorsen & Sons
|42' - 12.80m
Keel / Ballast:
|CABINS: V berth for double, 2 x singles
TOTAL BERTHS: 6
STOVE TYPE: Tudor
|Full boat cover
|ANCHOR WINCH: Yes
|BILGE PUMPS: Yes
|LIGHTING: Cabin LED
BATTERIES: 3 x N70 22
|WIND INSTRUMENTS: Yes
|Main, #1 genoa
Mast / Rigging:
|RIG TYPE: S/S wire